Deciding to stand for the local Community Board

My Three sons - Central Otago summers are made for ice cream

The lummoxes are growing up and moving on to their own adventures post secondary school. We only have number 3 still at home enjoying the luxuries of a catered, serviced life.

My family has lived in Cromwell for nearly 15 years. We arrived here with little children.  We were looking for a place that three little boys could grow and thrive while my husband and I moved into new career roles. The growing Central Otago district beckoned and we made the move from Dunedin at the beginning of 2002 with a toddler, a preschooler and school boy. 

I've always been actively involved in our community through my children, their sports, activities, schools and kindergartens.  I've coached, raised funds, catered and spent many hours on committees in all sorts of roles.  I'm moving away from this type of involvement as the boys move into adulthood. It's time for a new challenge.

This is more what having three sons is actually like

I was a little taken aback when I was initially approached about standing for the community board, but it gave me pause for thought.  I have thought about the opportunities and advantages that living in Cromwell has provided, the changes in the town over the last 15 years, the pace and direction of development and about the frustrations, niggles and disadvantages.  I thought about whether I wanted to open myself up to public scrutiny and the possibility of a negative response.  Most of all I have thought about whether or not my experience would be valued, valid and useful for our community.

I talked to my mum and my lovely bloke, they were all for it and encouraged me to put my hand up. I talked to some colleagues and friends, most were surprised but supportive.  Others have been less positive questioning my sanity and considering the community board a 'puppet' to the council with all decisions 'done and dusted' so 'what's the point?'

I think I do have something to contribute, I think I bring a different view point, a fresh perspective.  I'm pragmatic, I'm not going to campaign on impossible promises for upgrades and spending on overturning decisions that are already made and developments that are already in progress.  I'm articulate, I know how to get my point across.  I'm family and community focused, I am aware of the stresses and struggles facing families living and working in Cromwell, from my own experience as a parent and through my role as a Deputy Principal at a local primary school.  I'm tough, I'm not going to run away crying if someone disagrees with me.

I know that from becoming a candidate, through campaigning, the possibility of being elected and through to taking up a role on the Cromwell Community Board that I am on a steep learning curve.  I think I'm up for it, hopefully the Cromwell community agrees. #annanatalyaharrison

Ringo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lamb Shanks with sweet chilli and black bean

Lummox number three turns 14!

Community consultation, conversations and questions